Thursday, May 22, 2008

Christmas


It's cold out there
But the window,
Is still open.
A chill, runs down my spine.
But there is no pane
To block the cold.

Winter winds, howl outside.
But the sonorous sounds
From the church,overshadow it.
I wonder, if voices
Even have shadows.

Sleep approaches,
Wonder if its hypothermia.
Can't afford to see a medic.
Hell, I cant even afford my meals
Or a candle to light at the church.

It's the day the christ was born.
Did he feel cold and hunger?
Maybe, maybe not. Who cares?
Five days from now,the new
Lunar cycle begins. Nothing new.

A girl watches me from
The nearby boxboard stacks.
An orphan, just like me.
She comes to my hovel.
Wonder whats in her hand?

Oh, a burnt cake, thrown away
She wants to share it with me.
I ponder what to look forward to
The celebrations of christmas,
Or the ice burying dead leaves beneath it.

Or at the trees, standing
Bare, shivering in cold,
Just like us. watching us
With unseen, unblinking eyes.
We snuggle closer and eat the cake.

Lord christ, a small piece of it,
I gift to you on YOUR merry christmas.
Not mine...

No comments: